Fire Island map by Daniel W. Weldon was created in 1965 and published by the Triton Company located in Bayport, New York. The artwork meticulously details the native wildlife of the area in the borders of the piece. These include the Great Blue Heron, Woo Duck, and Blue Claw Crab. The map also gives an accounting of famous shipwrecks over the last 200 years of American history as well as illustrations of some of the ships. Poseidon can be seen in the bottom left corner of the artwork blowing a long conch horn. The map alludes to great riches and sunken treasure possible in the area.
Fire Island is the large center island of the outer barrier islands parallel to the south shore of Long Island, New York. The origin of Fire Island's name is not certain. It is believed its Native American name was Sictem Hackey, which translated to "Land of the Secatogues". The Secatogues were a tribe in the area of the current town of Islip. The name of Fire Island first appeared on a deed in 1789. The land area of Fire Island is 9.6 square miles. The island and its resort towns are accessible by boat, seaplane and a number of ferries. Fire Island is known as a spring and summertime destination. The island only has around 150 households living year round.
This is an Original Vintage Poster; it is not a reproduction. This poster is conservation mounted, linen backed, and in excellent condition.
We guarantee the authenticity of all of our posters.